Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Martha and Mary

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:38-42).


I have a confession, the story of Martha and Mary in the Bible has always bugged me. I find myself wanting to argue with Jesus on Martha's behalf. It has always seemed unfair to me that she gets called out for being a hard worker. He calls her "distracted" by her tasks. Because I am more like Martha than Mary I feel bad for her. I am a task oriented person and sometimes it drives me nuts when there are things that need to be done and people are just talking. Can't we carry on a conversation while we get something done people?

I think this story stings because I don't feel like when I am doing things that I am choosing tasks over sitting at the feet of Jesus. I feel like that is just the way I am built, even when I am in church listening to the sermon I am a note taker. It doesn't mean I am not paying attention.

So, in the spirit of trying to grow I have been asking myself if I am missing out on something by being "distracted" by all of my tasks. I certainly want to be there in my moments with people, to hear their stories and make them feel as though they are really being listened to. But at the same time there is a lot of stuff that needs doing and it's not just going to do itself . So I am wondering is it possible to be Martha and Mary? Can I do what needs doing but not miss out on the "better part." I hope so. Don't worry Martha, I'll come and help you in the kitchen.

No comments: