Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Makes me want to scream

I have to get this off my chest somewhere.

I am not one of those grammar police people who feels it is necessary to point out every mistake I see, heaven knows I make plenty of mistakes myself, but some things drive me crazy.

Today has been a momentous occassion, watching the inauguration events has been moving and brought tears to my eyes. One thing has ruined it though. I cannot tell you the number of poeple who have said this is is an "historical" occassion. NO - IT - IS NOT. It is an historic occassion, that will be marked in the history books.

Just to clear it up for everyone:

Historic or Historical?
Historical normally means "having taken place in history" or "from the past" or "having to do with history."
Historic means "having significance in history." It usually refers to an event or person.
Historically is the adverb form of both words.

Thanks for listening you can go on to your dance now, just please do not say it is historical.

No comments: